Thursday 21 April 2016

Suki Waterhouse on how photography helps her overcome the lack of control as a model


Models are often treated as blank canvases, to be seen and adored, but not heard. Suki Waterhouse is part of the model set changing the stereotype. Like her friend Cara Delevingne, who has said that modelling made her feel 'empty,' Suki is expanding beyond the usual model remit by launching an acting career and working on her own collection.

One way that she can regain some power when on set is through her interest in photography. "I always wanted to have more control over everything," she tells The Telegraph. "You go on a modelling shoot and you don't get to choose the clothes, the picture, your hair and makeup, you don't get to chose anything. You're just like that [pulls blank expression]. And I really hate that, and I'd always come back after and do almost my own photoshoot and in my own surroundings. I'd f*** up the hair and put on whatever I wanted, because you go home with done hair and makeup, and you get to make your own thing of what you remember."

"I've got photos of me crying," she says of her photography repertoire, "it's interesting. It helps me with acting, because if I've got something really sad to do for acting I have a box with different pictures of things that remind me, and I have this picture of me crying and I know exactly what hotel it is and exactly what's going on, so I've got a reference point." Film photography is a real passion for Waterhouse, rather than selfies taken on an iPhone. "I get off the plane and I don't go home first, I make the taxi take me to Snappy Snaps and get it developed," she says of her obsession. "It's so exciting, because it feels like a proper memory. When you're in your 80s you don't want to be looking at pictures on your phone."

Waterhouse explains that she uses her images as a visual diary, which perhaps one day she would like to publish. "It's a document of my life. I keep all the pictures, and everywhere I go I write down things I hear people say and memories. There's a lot of alone time travelling around by myself, so I have a big collection of that, and I would like to organise it at some point and do maybe a book or something. I could put it out when I'm a lot older, because you do forget things and I don't want to because it becomes a blur otherwise."

The Burberry campaign star is also focusing on acting, and will miss this year's Met Gala as she will be on the set of on an upcoming movie, filming in the desert for a month (a role that she will bleach her hair for). "I'm scared to go to the Met Ball again because I loved my dress so much, I'm scared would I love it as much?" she said. "It was like my wedding. I was one of the first people that got there, and had the best time. It was the Charles James theme, so that was bonkers as you'd try to kiss people hello and your dresses were so huge you couldn't move around. It was like wading through a cascade of dresses, and everyone stomping on your dress. Everyone in the craziest, biggest dresses."

As well as acting, Waterhouse is also working on her own collection of accessories called PS Mon Amore with her close friend Poppy Jamie. "It's all a go-go," she said of the line. "I think we'll start with the staples, but it's going to be all online brand. We aren't going to sell in shops, because it means you can put more into the quality. Everything is going to be made in LA. It brings a lot of joy to be able to create something with your best mates, I love having those friendships that you can make something together to represent your friendship. Different parts of the brain to exercise and there are big learning curves with it."


Written By  Emma Spedding

Source:telegraph.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment